Annmarie.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Million Little Pieces-OR#2

"I was in a Room alone and I didn't know where I was or how I got there and I was drinking and doing drugs and I got annihilated. It seemed real and when I woke up I was scared"(53).
As a reader, this passage really grabs my attention. It really shows me the life of a drug addict through the eyes of one. Frey dreams of drugs. Drugs are his life. Frey still craves drugs, so his subconscious mind ends up expressing this deep desire through a "user dream."
As a non-drug user, I've never really understood why people waste away their lives being addicted to drugs (after all, it damages your body, your mind, and your spirit) ... I've known people that have been addicted to drugs, and sometimes, I've just wanted to shake them and tell them to stop using.
But now I know that it's just not that easy...Drugs chemically alter one's brain, so when the body stops using, the cravings don't stop....they just get stronger and stronger...
until something happens. I find it really scary that drugs are soooo powerful that a user finally has to make a choice between life and death. Life means going to rehab and doing the painful steps to recovery and death means continuing on the path of drugs.
Adreneline pumps through my body every time I start reading. I'm hoping for Frey to continue on the path of recovery, but then my hopes are slashed when Frey mentions of an easier way out....which is to just start using again. I find myself rooting for Frey, I honestly hopes that he recovers.
I'm definately starting to understand a different way of life. I'm glad that I'm reading this book because now I can see first hand the process that a drug user goes through in dealing with his addiction.
It's so tragic, yet addicting to read how an addict does EVERYTHING in his/her power to get high.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home