Annmarie.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Million Little Pieces-OR#3

In this section of the novel, Frey has visitors at the rehab center: Frey's brother and friends.
I can definately relate to this part of the novel because I have visited a family friend in a rehab facility. This novel brings back an influx of memories for me, some I wish not to remember....
My experience as a visitor at a recovery facility for alcoholics was brutal. My first memory is entering the all- white facility and taking in a heart-stopping whiff of strong cleaning products. As I was going through the halls to visit one of my family friends, whom I'll call Nancy, I would hear people screaming at the top of their lungs every now and then. The environment of rehab practically made ME sick to my stomach. As we were visiting Nancy, she seemed quite distant from us; she wouldn't talk...it was like she wasn't completely in reality or something. The solemn personality that Nancy had in rehab resembles that of Frey. Nancy and Frey both aren't sure of themselves and their ability to recover.

I definately feel for Frey's brother and friends visiting Frey in rehab. Some of the things that shocked Frey's brother and friends at the rehab place are exactly what shocked me when I visited Nancy in rehab, (especially the mind-boggling screaming)!
One quotation from A Million Little Pieces reads, "My Brother and Julie and Kirk stare at the dark, barred windows and my Brother asks me what's happening inside and why people are screaming...even after we pass, the screams are still inside all of our heads"(128).
This passage clearly illustrates the setting for the uncomfortable environment at a rehab center, and the uncannily similar experience that I had of hearing people scream at Nancy's recovery facility.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home